Monday, October 15, 2012

Ration Hint of the Day - Number Eleven and Night-time Cooking



Last night's cooking

Last night, after the kids went to bed, I decided it was time to do some baking to fill up our tins.
I like to make three loaves at a time as they all fit in the oven so are cooked together.
I made my oaty loaf, cheese loaf and the coconut loaf.  All favourites of my boys.
And since I had the oven all heated, I made a batch of chocolate biscuits to go in after the loaves were done.
I used self-raising flour by mistake instead of plain flour and baing soda.
So I thought that the texture would be different, and it was at the ten minute cooking time, so I left them in for an extra five minutes.
They turned out great.  Very hard like a New Zealand "Gingernut" biscuit, great for dunking in a cup of tea.
The boys want me to cook them like that again.


The recipes for the delicious goodies are in my previous posts.
Look them up and give them a try.

Now for the next Ration Hint .......


Frying Spam

Ration Hint No. 11

Stopping grease from spluttering.

When grease snaps and splutters in the frying-pan, just put about 1/4 teaspoon of flour in a sifter and sift it into the hot grease and instantly the spluttering will cease.


No comments:

Post a Comment