Thursday, September 27, 2012

Ration Hint of the Day - Number 1




I have been lucky enough to come across this copy of Self Help Wartime Cooking Suggestions - How to get the most out of your rations.  
I think it is a New Zealand publication, but am not 100% sure on that.
I just love finding these old publications, I look in the op-shops, fairs and on on-line auction sites.

This has a lot of great recipes and hints which I will share with you over time.  Salem and I will also cook many of the recipes and share our results with you.

Every day I will also post up a Ration Hint of the Day with this being the first one .......

Ration Hint No. 1

To clarify fat for cooking:-

a)  Put into a saucepan with plenty of water.  
     Bring to the boil, then stand in a cool place till set.
     Lift out the set fat, scrape any sediment from the underside.
     All gravy and sediment will remain in saucepan.

b)  Melt fat and add a potato cut into quarters.
     When the potato is browned, and the fat stops bubbling,
     strain the fat through a double cheese cloth and
     store in a cool, dry place.


No comments:

Post a Comment